Susan Bahlatzi, director of Noah’s Ark Preschool, and Julie Litwin, assistant director of Noah’s Ark Preschool, explain elements of their topic-based learning unit on birds. Their activities address multiple standards while engaging students in their classwork and the world around them.
In the video, they explain:
- How to use topic-based literacy experiences to build knowledge and vocabulary
- How to explain shades of meaning, and help students interpret words and phrases in a text and more easily recall them
- How to introduce fiction and nonfiction to build knowledge
- Ways to incorporate the unit’s theme throughout the classroom to build excitement around the topic
- How to create sensory-rich experiences to integrate science concepts
“How can I create an authentic learning experience where my students build knowledge and take away concepts that apply to other subject areas?”